Beetroot Double Chocolate Cake

It feels like months since the Great British Bake Off ended, I was really pleased with the outcome, I had always admired the way that Frances went the extra mile, Miss Style over Substance won the day in the end. 

It may all be over for another year but some of us have decided to bake on and although I am a little late to the party, I'm still very pleased to be joining in.

Helen and Jenny have opened a linky for the whole of November to link up a bake inspired by a theme shown during the entire series 4.  I have always wanted to bake a cake with beetroot in, I've used courgettes and carrots already but always steered clear of beetroots as they scared me a little with the staining red colour and wondered if the earthy taste of beetroot would come through in the cake.




I couldn't have been more wrong, this cake is moist, fudgy and so delicious. You would never know there are 3 large beetroots baked into it and more importantly TC won't know either!

I used a Beetroot Chocolate cake recipe from Tesco  and instead of using sunflower oil I substituted with the same amount of Stork melted in the microwave and used in the same way.   

I did reduce the sugar content from 200g to 125g which I think brings out the taste of the chocolate (and there is a lot of chocolate plus cocoa in this cake, I used Tesco 74% and along with the beetroot makes an antioxidant rich cake, see chocolate can be good for you!)

The cake was covered in a chocolate ganache, 100g Tesco 74% chocolate and 200 ml double cream, you can use more chocolate but like I said there is a lot of chocolate in this cake already!  Bring the cream to a gentle boil then take off the heat and stir in the chocolate and keep stirring until melted and glossy.  This amount was plenty for an 8" cake with some to spare.




Love this recipe, hiding a piece as we speak!


GreatBloggersBakeOff


Link up your recipe of the week


Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com


 I was sent a tub of Stork to use in my Great Bloggers Bake Off bake.  Thank you Stork!

.

7 comments:

  1. Looks lovely, never thought of using beetroot in a cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG..... that looks delicious - I can imagine beetroot and chocolate working very well together. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my!!!! Look at the shine on your ganache! that looks amazing and i could quite happily eat a slice please xx yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is literally my favorite kind of chocolate cake, I ate it first at a restaurant in Waterloo and fell in love! Healthy too ;) Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks divine. I love beetroot cake (though I have to put my hands up and say I've never made it myself...I have a great friend who bakes) but will definitely consider giving this a go..I like the way you have adapted to cut back on the sugar and to bring out the chocolate...always one of my gripes with a lot of recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really yummy. My beetroot cakes never work ;( I shall try again with this recipe :)

    Thanks very much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. I've pinned this. Also I've just put a fresh linky live for this week and would love you to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beetroot cakes are amazing - I only ever reveal the beetroot content after it has been eaten as people turn their noses up!

    ReplyDelete