Great Bloggers Bake Off - Week 9 - Canapes

After 9 weeks of the Great British Bake Off I'm so looking forward to the final next week, it has been brilliant with some great competitors.  

It has been so great joining in with the Great Blogger Bake Off ladies, we have built up some lovely friendships and had quite a giggle, we think a GBBO meet up is in order!

This week the bakes were really challenging, The Opera Cake which is a work of art and so technical, I will leave that one to the French Patissiers, a Charlotte Royale, which is something I would love to tackle when I don't have a 3 year old around to "help" mummy bake.  She truly is a budding Nigella and I do encourage her all the way, she loves the mixing, cutting out shapes, etc with her little baking kit, a future Bake Off contestant maybe!

The third challenge was savoury canapes and with party season here soon, knocking up a plate or two was lovely and with a glass of fizz for me & Mr J, I don't mind if I do!



On the menu: Sundried Tomato & Stilton Tartlettes with caramelised onions, Chilli Tomato Whirls/Palmiers, Spicy Chickpeas and Smoked Salmon & cream cheese Blini's.  All very quick and easy to make and made with what was in my fridge mostly!

Tartlettes - shortcrust pastry base, chill, line into tarlette tins, mine are a touch large, bake blind for 10-15 minutes, fry onions for a few minutes adding a teaspoon of dark brown sugar for the last 2-3 minutes to caramellise.  Chop up sun-dried tomatoes and add to the onions, crumble Blue Stilton over the top.  Bake for 10 minutes at 180 C.

Whirls/Palmiers - shop bought Puff Pastry, I rolled out a 10" x 12" piece, spread with Sun-dried tomato paste, sun-dried tomatoes, chilli flakes, black pepper (put whatever you love in), then roll the longer sides in towards each other, meeting in the middle, pop in fridge for 30 minutes to firm, then slice into half inch pieces, lay on a baking tray, egg wash and bake for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden.

Spicy Chickpeas - drain and rinse chickpeas, place on baking tray and roll in olive oil, sprinkle with spices of your choice, I used chilli powder, black pepper, garlic salt and a touch of cumin. Bake in oven with other canapes for around 15 minutes, delicious!

Blini's - lovely, light, sugar-free little pancakes, as fast as I was making them, TC was eating them!  Luckily the recipe I use which you can find on the Good Food Channel makes a fair amount if you use half a tablespoon of batter for each blini.

Beat up some cream cheese, add smoked salmon (chopped into very small pieces, you can use off-cuts) then roll into a sausage shape and wrap in cling film, pop in fridge overnight, then slice into pieces to top the blini's, finish with a sliver of smoked salmon and a sprinkle of black pepper.

Mr J and I sat down on the floor in the living room last night with a blanket on the carpet and had a mini impromptu picnic... and scoffed the lot! 

Linking up with Helen from The Crazy Kitchen and Jenny from Mummy Mishaps for this penultimate Great Bloggers Bake Off.


GreatBloggersBakeOff


14 comments:

  1. ooh I love the idea for the chickpeas...I cooked some yesterday & put them in the freezer so will definitely be baking some! Your other canapes sound lovely too..thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a feast! How pretty are those palmiers, they look fantastic. Pass me a glass and the tray :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh what a posh canape menu and they all sound and look very tasty- and what a great photo you took of your food. i can imagine realxing while nibbling on these with some fizz - yum!
    welk done on all your hard work and thank you for joining in x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you made loads, they look fab! Love the picture and blue table underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look lovely! I took part one week, but didn't manage too again. It doesn't help that husband is away during the week and often when I have the time to cook and blog I have no one to eat it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat them all myself, way too moreish! :)

      Delete
  6. Love canapes. Always reminds me of the book (and film with Cher) Mermaids where the single mother only served finger food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! You are such a great cook..... could I pay you to come and cook my Christmas lunch this year? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. & you are so sweet, Mr S cooks Christmas dinners, he is already booked :) xx

      Delete