Great Bloggers Bake Off Week 7 - Apple Suet Pudding

This week saw the exit of lovely Glenn from the Great British Bake Off making it an all girl final!  I shall miss him, he did make me laugh, the kids he teaches are lucky little people!

On offer this week was Choux pastry, Suet puddings and 3 types of Puff Pastry.  The Great Bloggers Bake Off has encouraged me to try bakes that I have never thought of tackling and having made plenty of choux and my own puff pastry (once!) I thought I would take on the suet pudding as I never prepared one before.  Mr J was delighted, he is a puddings fan, he loves roly-poly's, treacle puddings, etc and this one reminded him of the suet puddings his grandmother used to make.  



I still have a mountain of apples to use so decided to try an Apple Suet Pudding,  I used Delia's Old English Hat recipe and the only tweak I made was to use only Bramley's instead of a mix of cooking and eating apples.  


The apples go in raw (next time I will use another couple or so because they do reduce quite a lot) and the pastry doesn't need any resting time so it was really quick to pull together.  The steaming, however, takes 2 hours which is 2 hours less than I thought it would.  I started this at 9pm, so at 11.30pm we were tucking into steaming hot Apple Suet Pudding with lashings of custard, rock and roll!



Suet pudding is not the prettiest bake I have ever photographed and there was a moment when I inverted the pudding onto a plate wondering if it would come out and when I cut it open whether the apple filling would pile out of the casing leaving it hollow!  All was well thankfully and it was delicious, my lovely apple trees did me proud!  I think I may try some individual ones and add some dried fruit and cinnamon next time, any excuse for lashings of custard!

Linking up again this week with Helen from The Crazy Kitchen and Jenny from Mummy Mishaps for the Great Blogger Bake Off, some seriously brilliant bakes over there!



.
GreatBloggersBakeOff


4 comments:

  1. yes lashings of custard are the perfect accompianent to a hot pudding. ! this looks lovely and i love that you tucked in so late at night - what would you have done had it taken 4 hours to steam? hee hee]
    thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
  2. got to have a good dollop of custard nice to use fruit from the garden

    ReplyDelete