The Great Bloggers Bake Off - week 4 - Pies

Week 4 of the Great British Bake Off and I'm feeling exhausted watching some of it, I do love it but I also feel for some of them as I know I could not take the pressure of hours of baking with such scrutiny!

I was going to tackle the egg custard tart but as so many the bakers had so much trouble with them I thought it best to step away from that one!  I'm not a pie-maker, I leave that to Mr J who is a fabulous one, he can whip up cakes and pies in a flash without even breaking a sweat.

I chose to make an Apple & Sultana Pie because of the multitude of apples we still have in our garden, we have blackberries too but TC has decided she loves them and I don't want to put her off eating them, they will be gone all too soon.   The pie is a bit "rustic" looking but tastes good!




I made a rich shortcrust pastry with plain flour, salt, butter, sugar, egg yolk and water.  No Kitchen Aid this time, quite therapeutic watching Saturday Kitchen whilst rubbing butter into flour!




For the filling:

500g Bramley apples
grated rind of ½ a lemon and orange
40g golden granulated sugar
40g light soft brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
pinch of nutmeg
¼ tsp cinnamon
70g sultana's
25g (ish) unsalted butter

To Finish:

Egg yolk
Golden caster sugar

Take ⅔ of the pastry that has been chilling in the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface and line your dish.  Put back in fridge along with the remaining pastry (wrap in cling film).

For the filling, peel, core and slice or chop the apples into a bowl of lemon water, to stop them going brown.  I slice mine because I have a great new contraption that does it all for me with much less effort than manual peeling, you can see it over on Nutritious Deliciousness

Mix the sugars, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon and orange rinds together and sprinkle some onto the pastry base.  Add a good layer of apples and sultana's then sprinkle half of the sugar.  Repeat again using all the remaining apples, sultana's and sugar mix.  Dot the butter all over.

Roll out the remaining pastry and cover the pie, seal edges with a fork.  Cut two lines in the top to let the steam escape.

Brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle caster sugar on the top.

Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.




I'm serving with home-made vanilla ice-cream made with double cream, delicious combination!

Linking up as usual with Helen from The Crazy Kitchen and Jenny from Mummy Mishaps for the Great Blogger Bake Off, come join in, the more the merrier!




mummy mishaps

6 comments:

  1. i love making pastry by hand i find it relaxing and soothing!
    This pie looks good - the pastry so golden and crumbly and served with your homemade ice cream welll mmmmmm!
    thank you for linking up xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, I would definitely come back for seconds. Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so good do you think the recipe would work with pears as i have a pear tree in the garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit I usually use my kitchen aid to make my pastry - I need to allow more time & make it by hand next time.
    Your pie looks great - one of my favourite fillings!
    thanks for joining in

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks amazing - all the better with the filling from the garden and all that love you put into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful! We have an apple tree in the garden, definitely need to get on with an apple pie!

    ReplyDelete