The Great Bloggers Bake Off - Walnut Buttermilk Blueberry Cake

So The Great British Bake Off is back for its fourth series, I did a bit of jumping around about it on my food blog last week, so pleased to see it back, a huge favourite of mine.  I'm particularly fond of Mary Berry, such a sweet lady and of course a master at baking.

The ladies from The Crazy Kitchen and  Mummy Mishaps have set up a new weekly linky called The Great Bloggers Bake Off and I am going to try to join in most weeks although I know some of the challenges will be just that for my baking skills... a challenge!

I'm a solid home baker and not really fond of cake decorating, although I have decorated a few in my time, so will maybe leave out the more elaborate tasks.

For week 1 the theme was Victoria Sponge type cake, I have decided to tackle a Walnut Buttermilk Blueberry Cake.  I love walnuts in cakes and biscuits and the buttermilk gives the cake a moister finish and with blueberries in abundance at the moment, it is a good combination.




Prep Time:  around 30 minutes
Cook Time:  20-25 minutes
Serves: 8 generously
Equipment:  2 x 20cm (8") sandwich tins - lightly buttered and based lined with parchment paper.

Pre-heat your oven to 180°C, 160° fan, gas 4

My Ingredients

225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
 ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
225g unsalted butter, softened
200g light brown sugar
4 large organic eggs, lightly beaten
50g walnuts, finely crushed
100ml buttermilk

200g blueberries
1 tblspn maple syrup

300ml double cream
½ tsp vanilla extract
8 large walnut halves to decorate

Method

- Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.  In another bowl beat the softened butter and sugar until pale and creamy.  Gradually beat in the eggs into the butter/sugar mixture until well combined.

- Gently fold in the flour/baking powder/bicarb, then fold in the crushed walnuts and buttermilk gently until just incorporated.

- Divide the batter between the prepared sandwich tins and spread evenly.

- Bake for around 20 - 25 minutes.

- Whilst the cake is baking, heat half of the blueberries over a low heat with the maple syrup until the blueberries soften.  Remove from the heat and allow to cool, then drain the liquid.

- Whip the double cream and vanilla extract till firm, then take half into a separate bowl and swirl the blueberries gently through.

 - Spread the blueberry mixture on top of one sponge layer then add the next sponge layer on top.  Spread the remaining whipped cream on top of the sponge and decorate with walnut halves and remaining blueberries.

Cake was delicious, the crushed walnuts in the cake batter gave it a lovely subtle nutty taste.  Next time I make it I will just run the raw blueberries through the whipped cream or make my usual buttercream and add the blueberries to that.  In the time it took to change the batteries in my camera, the kitchen was so hot that the whipped cream tried to make a run for it and was oozing out of the middle of the cake like crazy!  Still delicious though!




GreatBloggersBakeOff



Link up your recipe of the week


Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

14 comments:

  1. oh I love nuts in cakes but rarely add them as no-one else likes them! I could just eat a slab of that now!
    Thanks for joining in with the #GreatBloggersBakeOff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful. I am going to have to make it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that looks INCREDIBLE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow look at your blueberry infused buttercream! all oozing out like that mmmmm! i bet that was lovely and moist with a wonderful nutty texture mmmmm not a combination i would think of putting togther but i would be willing to try it!
    thanks for linking up x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. was lovely and moist but cream more like a splodge, tasted good though! xx

      Delete
  5. Drooling! I love cake. Think it's the best thing ever. But sadly, I'm an appalling baker :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, am sure you're not! I'm not the best, all an experiment every time!

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of blueberries in a cake, looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, bravo on this incredible cake! Thanks for linking up with #tastytuesdays too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, this looks amazing. So pretty! Pinned and stumbled. Thanks for linking up to #recipeoftheweek – there’s a new linky live now, please do pop over and join in!

    ReplyDelete