It's Bread Week on the Great British Bake Off - Walnut & Gruyère Bread

This week was Bread week on the Great British Bake Off, linking up again this week with The Crazy Kitchen and Mummy Mishaps for the Great Bloggers Bake Off.  I've made a few loaves in my time but my favourite so far is Soda Bread, because it is so easy to knock up a loaf if we run out of bread!  I am going on a bread making workshop next month at The Artisan Bakehouse which I am greatly looking forward to, hope my hands can take a day of kneading.

I do love cheese in breads so thought I'd give a Walnut and Gruyère bread a go, I used a recipe by Paul Hollywood from his How to Bake book for a basic white tin bread and added walnuts and Gruyère to the dough.  Don't tell Paul Hollywood but I used my KitchenAid to mix the dough up, very quick and a very good job it did! 




Prep Time:  about 3 hours with all the proving!
Cook Time:  30 minutes
Makes:  1 standard loaf size

Lightly brush Olive oil on the inside of your preferred tin.
Fill a roasting tin with water and pop in the bottom of your oven (to create steam in the oven when baking the bread)

Ingredients
400g strong white bread flour
7g salt
7g yeast (I used Allinson Easy Yeast sachet)
25g unsalted butter, softened
250ml cold water (Paul Hollywood style, I would have used warm)
Olive oil for greasing tin and kneading
80g Walnuts, roughly chopped
100g Gruyère cheese, grated

- Put the flour, salt and yeast in a bowl, keep the yeast and the salt on separate sides as apparently the salt likes to kill the yeast or at least slow it down if mixed directly together!

- Add the butter and three quarters of the water and start to mix.  Continue adding the water until the ingredients are all combined and the dough is soft.  You may need a little more water, 250ml seemed fine to me.

- Add the grated Gruyère cheese and the chopped almonds and mix for another minute or two.

- Tip the dough onto an oiled surface and give it a knead for 5-10 minutes until the dough has a nice soft, smooth skin.




I let the dough prove for an hour in an oiled bowl covered with a tea-towel, where it very kindly doubled in size, then I gave it another knead knocking the air out, then popped the dough into a lightly oiled tin (I wanted a round loaf) and covered with a plastic bag then proved for another hour.  The dough had obliged and doubled in size again, I dusted the top of the loaf with flour and put two cuts in the dough.

It was then baked in a very hot oven, 200ºC (the recipe said 220ºC but I have a fan oven so turned it down a notch) for 30 minutes.  

I know Paul Hollywood would find fault here and there but it got the thumbs up from the family and with a lick of butter and the Apple & Blackberry jam I made the other day it was even more mmmm.





GreatBloggersBakeOff

9 comments:

  1. I'm very very impressed - it looks delicious and so professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm what a great idea for flavours and it looks so big too! honestly, i am so impressed by how creative the show and linky is making us all. Your loaf really look like you bought it from a bakers
    thank you for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't all that big, it went in a flash. I really enjoyed making it too, all the waiting for the dough to double up wasn't good for someone with no patience though :)

      Delete
  3. walnuts in bread is one of my favorites yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, never had them in bread before, all a bit of tasty experiment!

      Delete
  4. this looks great, I love bread with nuts in!

    ReplyDelete