What's the Story - Family Ties

I am linking up again with What's the Story this week over at PODcastdove, I wondered whether to post a sad story but see it also as a celebration of life to those who will never be forgotten. 

I have piles of family photo's, given to me by my late grandmother, thrust into my hands over the years, I was enamoured by them all.  I love to gaze into old photo's of times gone by and wonder about the women in them especially. 

This photo was a family wedding, my beautiful aunt is the one on the far right.  I've taken a magnifying glass to the photo to check out the fashion, my aunt's dress would have been made by my grandmother, I would wear that today, how things come around.  





Sadly my grandmother lost her daughter at age 50, my aunt was the most fabulous lady. She was the youngest of 4 daughters borne to my grandparents, she lived life for all of those 50 years. 

No Mother should outlive their child, it should be a universal law, one written in stone somewhere out there to be abided by for all time.

I was enamoured by her, she was beautiful, vibrant, funny and she bought me my first handbag when I was 10.  I remember my father thanking her as it made me so happy, I have been a lover of handbags ever since!

When visiting my grandmother after, she would just sit and gaze into the distance.  I would look at her and wonder what she must be thinking, remembering.

Remembering her baby girl when she entered the world, her 4th girl, my grandfather famously said he need not lift a finger as he had 5 women to look after him!

Remembering the toddler girl, like TC, racing around, chasing the chickens and goats that she kept.

Remembering the beautiful, blossoming girl, loved by her older sisters, ready to go out into the world.

Remembering the Mother she became to 2 beautiful girls of her own before she became unwell and slipped away....

Remembering....

History sadly repeated itself when I lost my own child, now I envy my grandmother having had that 50 years with her child, seeing her through all that life had to give, except old age.

No Mother should outlive their child, it should be written in the stars.





16 comments:

  1. What an incredible story - sad but truly wonderful. I'm so glad you shared it. It sounds like your late grandmother gave you some fabulous photos. And your aunt taught you a valuable lesson about the importance of handbags. Thank you for linking up with #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Charly, 2 truly wonderful women.

      Delete
  2. A really lovely post, I love old photographs and have spent a long time working on our family tree to link the people into our lives more fully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, me too, something so special about looking back into the family tree.

      Delete
  3. I love old photographs, especially seeing the clothes they wore. So lovely to share memories of your family.

    @Nortonmum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love it too, I always wonder what those ladies lives were like back then, we have so much these days.

      Delete
  4. Oh my, what an incredibly moving post. I'm so so sad that you lost a child. You are right, it should be a universal law of nature that no parent out lives their child. Your words about your Grandmother are beautiful - how you wondered where she went to in her mind.
    Your aunt's dress is gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing these memories. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, not the easiest post to write, thanks for your comments xx

      Delete
  5. This is so, so sad but also a wonderful celebration too. I can't imagine how truly heartbreaking it must be to outlive your own child. just thinking about it makes my soul shudder. A beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it truly is heartbreaking and something you never get over, no matter how long you live...

      Delete
  6. And wasn't she beautiful? Lovely dress. Children tend to gravitate to favourite Aunt or Uncle. For me, it was my mother's sister and best friend who was an honorary aunt! So sorry you lost her early, and that you lost your child too - utterly heartbreaking. Moving, lovely post. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so lovely OM, I loved her energy, she was a wonderful person and her children did not deserve to lose their mother when they themselves were still children.

      Delete
  7. Such a moving post, made me cry. My nan lost two sons so we have also felt this pain as a family. I'm scared of death and losing the people we love, I try not to think about it :0(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made me cry too Jane, doesn't take much :)

      Delete
  8. oh my what an emotional and beautifully written post.i would hate to see on of my boys go before me - must be one of the hardest things you face as a parent. i love that photograph showing the fashion of the time too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst day one will ever have as a Mother.... great photo isn't it x

      Delete