How does your Garden Grow 5 - Random Offerings!



For Silent Sunday last week I zoomed in on one of my Poppies in the garden, absolutely stunning mega huge Poppies I had never seen before until we had some building work done a couple of years ago.

Once the builders had finished their work and left, the front garden had taken quite a hammering.  They had slung bricks and other heavy building necessities on both lawns and flower beds, it was not a pretty sight and did upset me to see plants trodden under foot. Like a pack of rats they had demolished part of our house and set about building upwards and outwards and on the way left the garden in ruins.

I remember going out that day and looking back wistfully at the garden thinking I will set about restoring it all, all my hard work had been either dug up or trodden into oblivion.

Upon my return I found the builders filling up the wrecked flowers beds with soil (excess soil from another job).  Many unusual plants sprung up that Spring and the Poppies have been a recurring feature.  I managed to save the seeds from all of the flowers but forgot to label (Poppies excluded).  Next Spring I am planting each one separately and making it my mission to find out what they are!


These Poppies presented with cabbage like leaves and turned into the most wonderful, tall and unusual Poppies I had ever encountered.  These aren't like the short-lived papery red blooms I usually have in the garden, these are enormous with intricate designs and extravagance in their plummage.   

The blossoms on the Apple and Cherry trees have had a lot of rain and wind to contend with lately, but unlike last year we do have some Apples!  A huge amount of the Apple buds were blown off last night but a lot have survived. I usually have a good old moan around September with the amount of apples we've eaten and frozen in various guises by then, even giving them away to friends and neighbours still leaves tons!  But how I missed them last year when there were none, not one.  Welcome back.


I've had some Roman Chamomile for a couple of years, I had envisioned a small Chamomile Lawn, I tried planting them out but found the dog peeing on them regularly, so out they came and back into pots!  If you have never smelt Roman Chamomile you really should, next to Lavender it is the most potent, calming, wonderful smell.  The essential oil that is extracted from the plant is very expensive but just rubbing the plant gently between your fingers and having a good sniff, whooshes the heady scent up your nostrils and instant calm.  We need a scratch n sniff facility here!



And finally for this week, the Honesty plants that pop up in various places every year in the garden uninvited but very welcome.  I've always been fascinated with how they transform from this....


to this.....


and then turn into papery, pearly discs.

How does your garden grown this week??  Pop on over to Annie's blog at Mammasaurus to see everyone's wonderful gardens.




20 comments:

  1. Stunning photos. The colour on that popppy is incredible! I just love all of these beautiful shots of flowers this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne, they are so beautiful and so detailed.

      Delete
  2. I'm very jealous of your oriental poppy it's one I have missing from my garden and is my mission next year to grow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seeds if you'd like some, just contact me on Twitter :)

      Delete
  3. i love poppies. they remind me of growing up in portugal and yours are AH-MA-ZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The honesty looks lovely, next door have got some in their front garden and I always admire it. I'm jealous of your poppies - they're stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Honesty when the seed heads turn papery, I keep missing how they go from flowers to the seed heads, maybe in my dotage when I have time!

      Delete
  5. Love that poppy, we had a big gorgeous red poppy, but it didn't come up last year and so far no sign of it this. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they seem quite fickle, some do some don't then another year something else pops up!

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of Honest Plants - they are so pretty and what strangely beautiful discs they turn into. Poppies lie dormant until the ground is disturbed. Like you we have some work done in the garden and it disturbed the ground and revealed the most lovely pale purple old-fashioned poppies.
    Your poppies look delightful! I adore them. So pretty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that they lay dormant, strange but interesting!

      Delete
  7. Poppies are my favourite flowers and oriental poppies thrive in my mum's garden.I live in a flat so have to admire everyone else's gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the weather is kind to your apple tree this year. It is very wet again here which isn't great - we need a good burst of sun and less of the storm force winds! I wish we had room for an apple tree, you are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wet, dry, wind, wet, heatwave, foggy, dry, so it goes LOL!

      Delete
  9. Lovely post. Gorgeous photos. Those poppies are AMAZING. X.

    ReplyDelete