How Does Your Garden Grow 4

I love my garden, growing up in central London we never had very much of one but had the fabulous parks as a substitute.  Regularly me & my friend Katie used to cycle all the way out to Wimbledon Common miles away to fish for tadpoles or Hyde Park just to play and muck about all day until it was time to go home.  There were no mobile phones for mum to keep tabs on me, just a tupperware box full of sandwiches and a bit of pocket money for drinks.

I cannot imagine letting TC out to do this when she is 8!

Anyway, I digress, once I'm on the memory trip in my head I kind of get lost in the moment!  I love my garden but I am so impatient, I plant a seed, watch it sprout, then want immediate gratification with flowers and vegetables galore!

This year everything is growing at a snail's pace, so again this week not much to see in terms of progress, except the carpet of fallen apple and cherry blossom petals that have covered the front and back gardens.  Mixed with the rain the last couple of days, it has all become a big mess that we are constantly bringing into the house on our shoes.  The upside of this, of course, is the promise of apples and cherries this year.

The Peonies have been ready to burst forth for a while now, I think they are waiting for it to stop raining, every year their huge scarlett heads get rained on and weighed down.  I do my best to shake them out to prolong their lives.


I buy new Lavender plants every year to add to the clan, I love Lavender, I save the heads and dry them.  I need to find time to make Lavender pillows, I've still got some I dried a couple of years ago and when crushed between your fingers, they still hold their pungent fragrance.  The severe ongoing winter this year did away with a 3 bushes this year, I will be particularly sad if I lose the Pink Lavender I planted out as a tiny bush when I found out I was having at girl at 20 weeks, it has one or two sorry new shoots on it, I will leave it there to see if it rallies next year.

Hidcote is one of my top favourites along with go old Vera!




I buy all my shrubs as small baby bushes, I love to plant them out and watch them flourish & flourish they do.  Our Mexican Orange Blossom or Choisya is now many years old, I have a precious photo of my first born sitting next to it as a 3 year old and now they are both all grown up.  I'm not keen on the fragrance it gives out but every year without fail it flowers like crazy and is evergreen.


And look who I couldn't resist at the garden centre, a mini dahlia.  Plants are like cute puppies sometimes, buy me, buy me!




And finally, everyone ready to flower, now how do I persuade the sun to stay out for longer than a day??

How does your garden grow this week, hop on over to Mammasaurus to see some how everyone's garden is doing this week.


13 comments:

  1. 'Planst are like cute puppies' - quote of the week I think!
    I love the peony shot and the rain on it makes it look even fresher if that makes sense. I too am a major lavender fan. My husband hates it - which *might* be why I buy a new one every year. I didn't know you can get pink lavender - I must hunt some down.

    Such pretty colours and loveliness in your garden at the moment - thank you for joining in and sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dahlias. I really must get some more.
    I too love lavender and I'm pleased to say the tiny plants I bought last year are finally starting to look stronger :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures - yes your peonies are a little behind mine, but that might be a good thing considering the battering they took in the rain this week! I adore lavender too, and keep the heads. As soon as I breathe it in it calms me xx Lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  4. My lavender all died this winter - so sad - but I've just been to the garden centre and planted some new ones in. You look like you have a major crop there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost a couple of lavenders too, these get a hair cut every year and are about 3 years old now, the previous one went quite mad!

      Delete
  5. I love lavender so much, but I haven't got any. Think I'll plant some x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather has so messed up everything this year. I love lavender - my mum bought me a lavender tree for our new garden - let's see if I can keep it alive! X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please post a photo of your lavender tree, mine are all bushes, be prepared for a lot of lavender, I still have loads dried for years gone by! x

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous pics and I really love the dahlia. I did have one last year but just left it out all winter :( Bye, bye dahlia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. poor Dahlia, I even dug up my dahlias one year but they didn't do well either!

      Delete
  8. lovely pics and your garden is looking lovely. hope the sun will shine longer for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too Lily, send some extra for us :)

      Delete