Going Potty with Princess Polly and Lulu

I never thought I would write about toilet training, it is something we all go through on our way to being an independent grown up.  Some children take to it easily whilst others resist and take their time to become nappy free.  TC has been fascinated by my toilet habits since she could crawl her way into the bathroom to follow me, watching me intently and informing me of what I was to do, wee wee, poo poo?  These words became etched in my mind along with Peppa and counting endlessly from one to ten but there was no interest shown in actually sitting on the toilet or potty.  


A few months ago I bought her 3 potties, 2 toilet insert seats and 2 potty training books, one for each bathroom, these she loves but still she didn't equate what was in the book to the actual event itself.  We sat on the loo or potty time and again reading our books and listening to the "Hooray" button when pressed over and over, but still nothing.

One day when she had finally had enough of me asking if she would like to sit on the potty for a leisurely wee, she picked it up and threw it frisbee style, I ducked, it was time to step back for a while.

I wondered if we would ever see the end or at least the lessening of pull-ups, were they a bad idea, a crutch to fall back on for both of us??  But once she entered nursery and saw all the other children happily sitting on potties or the toilet, she, of course wanted to join in but go straight back into the safety net of her pull-ups.

So a couple of weeks ago the time seemed right, the moon and stars were aligned and off we went to buy some big girl panties, I couldn't find Peppa Pig so Miss Kitty it was, I think Peppa would have been way too distracting as she is o.b.s.e.s.s.e.d with Peppa and more so - George! as she likes to shout out whenever she claps eyes on him!

The first day was a little challenging, she knew how to tell me she had already passed water but failed to grasp that I needed to know before she actually had filled her shoes.  Many, many changes of panties later, see my Silent Sunday washing line post and with the washing machine on full pelt, she finally did that milestone of depositing the urine in the potty!  The next afternoon she was at nursery where she went through 4 panties in 3 hours and I did feel the stress in her when I picked her up, this is not what I wanted for her, words will be had and compromises made.

Her 3rd day saw her confidently use the potty appropriately a couple of times with a couple of accidents and on her 4th day she filled the potty in one go instead of a dribble here and there.  Thankfully the weather has been glorious here and we spent the afternoons in the garden where she had one accident but it wasn't on my carpet - bonus! 

Today, so far, has seen no potty deposits and no accidents, hope this means she is learning control and not retaining it because she doesn't want to do it in the potty, over analysing a tad now I think!

Overall, for her first concentrated, concerted efforts she has done well, we have tried before and she clearly was not ready for it, now she knows what is expected of her and bless her heart she is trying very hard to be a big girl about it   I know there will still be accidents and I won't be letting her go pull-up free when we're out just yet, I still have memories of a friend's child flooding my car's back seat,  albeit it over 20 years ago, so we are buying a compromise when out and about for now, Bambino Training Pants which are designed to allow toddlers to feel wetness to help aid potty training, whilst minimising accidents, I'll let you know!

I'm linking this post up to The Olivers Madhouse Magic Moments, I'm not sure this qualifies for an actual magic moment but all my moments with TC are magic (except for the temper tantrums, they aren't quite so magic!) and it certainly was magic just now when she finally filled that potty to great applause and a lot of mummy dancing from me!







10 comments:

  1. When they make that toilet training connection it really is a magic moment. I love how it does just seem to click. Well done to your "big" girl and may this be the start of dry days from now on x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can hope Nichola, she is a determined little thing! x

      Delete
  2. A potty magic moment indeed. Well done to her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it certainly counts as a #magicmoment ! Its such a difficult stage we are struggling with it at the mo!


    thanks for linking up with #magicmoments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she's doing well, good luck with yours x

      Delete
  4. Sounds like she is doing very well! Hope it continues. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it is a magic moment!!!! You are getting there with TC! It really did take a while with Little A but we got there in the end and now she is using the loo for wees and poos. I'll bet TC loves her big girl pants! X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes OM, no more nappies! Cute little panties too! x

      Delete