5:2 Fasting Diet - Day 1


My days start with getting breakfast for the toddler and tea for myself and Mr J.  Some days I eat breakfast and some days I don't, most days I don't find the time to eat until nearly 12, I think thats called Brunch!  So my fasting days will start the same but I am limited to 600 calories or less.

For my first day on the 5:2 Fast Diet I worked out the caloric values of the foods I was planning to eat in advance.  The Fast Diet book has a great little calorie counter in the back plus myfitnesspal app filled in the gaps. 

On Monday the day went like this:

Morning:   Black tea with 50ml skimmed milk x 3 = 75 calories
               Cucumber - 100g - 10 (yes 10!) calories
               Cottage Cheese (70% reduced fat, usually buy full fat) - 50g - 35 
               calories.  Almonds - 10g - 65 calories.

Late PM:  Black tea with 50ml skimmed milk x 2 - 50 calories
              Half slice of Warburtons thin with 20g cottage cheese = 39
              calories
                 
By 5pm I was absolutely ravenous, hence the half slice & cottage cheese, I felt I just needed something for my tummy to get hold of plus I was getting a slight headache.  

I drank a lot more water than I usually do too, probably close to 2 litres but it stopped the tummy rumbles more than once!

Dinner:   Alaskan Salmon - 100g - 150 calories baked with ginger, garlic and  
             lemon - 5 calories - Steamed Broccoli - 100g - 32 calories,
             Asparagus - 50g - 15 calories and Courgette - 50g - 18 calories.

             Blueberries - 20g - 12 calories


Dinner tasted fabulous (although I never usually eat this much at one sitting), it was really plain and simple apart from the ginger and garlic but I savoured every mouthful and ate much slower than usual.   


I did find it hard going in the middle of the day but I think over time it will get easier once I get into the swing of two days fasting and expand my low calorie repetoire. 
I was hungry for most of the day (I've fought the urge to finish off TC's food, amazing how many times I found myself nearly doing it, wonder how many calories are consumed that way!) but Mondays are busy here and it's always an active day, Thursday TC will be at nursery in the afternoon and I will be stuck behind my desk working so will be interesting to see how the day differs.


My total calories for the day were 506 which I am extremely pleased with especially as I thought I would not be able to come in under 600. 
It was an early night for me.... didn't want to chance a late night nibble!
.



18 comments:

  1. Wow - I am very impressed.... I need to do a detox too - after you have been doing this for a few days, and started to purge all the toxins, your energy should start to soar! But you probably know that already. Most impressed you are doing this with the demands of a toddler. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very impressed with me too OM!! I think I will need to get into the groove a little with it, have tomorrows fast sorted, am sure it will get a little easier! x

      Delete
  2. BIG RESPECT to you MLM. I wouldn't have the will power to do this. I just love eating too much :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And nor should you new mummy MP, you need your energy, I love my food too, just want to lose a few pounds then I will maybe just do it once a week or 750 calories ish.

      Delete
  3. Well done on your first day! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well done to you to with your diet, you're doing so well with it xx

      Delete
  4. well done on your first day, the dinner looks really yummy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up on #WobblesWednesday. Interesting to see the food you ate and to see how much I like some of your choices so new ideas for me too. Thank you. Look forward to seeing how it all goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its amazing Kate how many vegetables you can eat (not potatoes of course!) with so few calories!

      Delete
  6. I've read another blog by a mum doing this diet and it sounds interesting. The only thing I find when reducing calories is that I get headaches. Have you found this at all on your fast days? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get a mild headache which I think will probably happen for the first few fasts, it happens if I forget to eat sometimes! I'm doing it for health benefits as well as to drop a few pounds so once they are dropped I hope I can maintain it on more calories on the fast days, time will tell :) x

      Delete
  7. I too would find it hard to stick to that amount of calories....very well done :)
    Good luck for the week ahead xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's 2 days a week, so very do-able, it will get easy in time, its a long term health choice too x

      Delete
  8. I'm a big fan of the 5:2 Fast Diet, it's hard work but can give fantastic results. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, will join in with your weekly weigh, have signed up to your blog.

      Delete
  9. Well done, im going to look into this a bit more

    Thisdayilove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do Leyla, not easy to start with but I think worth it long term.

      Delete