Mini Quiches

I usually make quite a few mini quiches as part of a "nibbles" buffet table for our festive and new year gatherings, they are never on the plate for long!  But I also like to make them for TC as a finger food snack, they are easy for small hands to hold, don't fall apart and are soft to eat.  Perfect.

We've always got some crème fraîche in the fridge and I'd just made Annabel Karmel's Popeye Pasta for TC and had some Gruyère left, I usually use cream and Cheddar but I came across a recipe in a Tesco magazine that used both so decided to give it a whirl. 

I used ready rolled shortcrust pastry this time for speed but we usually make our own, well Mr J does, I prefer to bake, he's a maker of pies from scratch and very good at it he is!



Ingredients

375g ready rolled shortcrust pastry
90g back bacon, chopped into small squares
5 tablespoons crème fraîche
1 whole organic egg
1 organic egg yolk
3 tablespoons semi-skimmed milk
50g Gruyère cheese, grated
Salt and pepper

Method

Pre-heat your oven to 190°C/170°C/Gas 5.

1.  Cut 12 rounds of pastry to line a 12 hole tin, I use a glass that makes the
     perfect size round for my tin, around 7.5cm.  Refrigerate while you make
     the filling.
2.  Dry fry the bacon until lightly golden.  Drain on a paper towel and let cool.
3.  Combine the crème fraîche, semi-skimmed milk, whole egg and egg yolk in
     a bowl, season to taste.
4.  Divide the bacon and grated Gruyère between the pastry cases, then
     spoon the crème fraîche, egg mixture carefully and evenly over.
5.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and the filling has risen.  Leave to
     cool for a few minutes before removing from the tin.




Delicious warm or cold!




6 comments: