Lebkuchen Christmas Biscuits

Lebkuchen, a traditional soft German biscuit, has been a part of my Christmas from long before I can even remember.  My Oma would send over packets of Chocolate Lebkuchen and Pffernussen, they were so very moreish and my favourite Christmas treat.

I have been buying Bahlsen Lebkuchen for years but for the last couple of years I have found it increasingly difficult to find them so have decided to try my hand at making my own.  The recipe from Woman and Home looks the most authentic one looking at the list of ingredients, except I am leaving out the mixed peel & crystallised ginger.  I am most looking forward to dipping them in chocolate!


Lebkuchen - adapted from and inspired by Woman and Home Recipe.

Ingredients

250g plain flour
75g ground almonds
2 tsp ground ginger
1½ tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of ground nutmeg
2 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g honey
75g butter
150g plain chocolate

Method

1.  Combine the flour, almonds, spices, cocoa powder, baking powder and
     bicarbonate of soda into a medium sized bowl.





2.  Melt the butter and honey in a pan over a low heat, stirring until the
     butter melts.


3.  Pour the honey butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well to
     make a stiff dough.  Chill if the mixture is a touch sticky to work with.




Heat your oven now to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.

4.  Shape the dough into small golf ball sized balls.  Place on a lined
     baking tray, well spaced apart, I used my macaron pans, I love my 
     macaron pans!  Flatten each one to make a round biscuit.



5.  Bake for about 15 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.




6.  Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a bowl of simmering
     water, heat gently.  Dip the biscuits into the chocolate then leave to
     cool again on a wire rack. 







.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. not quite as good as Bahlsen but yes very yummy & Christmasy! xx

      Delete