Welcome Home Cake

It's been a stressful week so we've been kicking back this weekend getting whatever fresh air and sunshine we can find and just generally enjoying being back as a family again.

When Mr J was in hospital I found it hard to unwind and relax at the end of every day, so one night I found myself in the kitchen baking biscuits after TC was snuggled up in bed.  I find baking quite therapeutic especially when I do it all by hand, the measuring, the creaming, the beating (good for pent up stress!!), the scraping of the bowl and finally the licking of the spatula!

So today I've baked a welcome home Apple & Sour Cream flan cake, TC takes after me in the cake eating department, we love our cake!


Our apple trees suffered this year like most have, the beautiful, delicate pink blossoms were rained on so hard that they didn't get pollinated so no apples, the first year that has ever happened, usually we they are so prolific (we have 4 trees) we cook, bake, freeze and finally give loads to the neighbours.  So this year I had to BUY some Bramleys for this flan cake which was inspired by an old Woman & Home recipe that I have tucked away and is a firm family favourite.  I do twiddle with my recipes as I always prefer to lower the sugar content, but they still taste sweet enough.

Pre heat your oven to 180C, 160C Fan, gas mark 4
Bottom line and butter a 23cm (9") round cake tin, I use a springform, so easy to use.

My Ingredients
2 medium sized  cooking apples, peeled and cored
125g butter,softened plus a little extra to brush top of apples
90g golden caster sugar
2 organic free-range eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
200g plain flour
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
100g sour cream
1 tblspn apricot jam for glazing

Method
Beat the butter and the golden caster sugar together until pale and creamy, add the eggs one at a time and beat in.  Stir in the vanilla extract, then the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and the sour cream until smooth. 

Chop one of the apples into small bite sized chunks and finely slice the other.  Add the chopped apples to the cake batter, then spread the mixture into the prepared baking tin.  Make smooth and even then arrange the apple slices to top.  Melt a little butter and brush over the top of the cake and apples.

Bake for 40-50 minutes until the cake has risen and is golden.  It should be firm to the touch.  Cool on a wire rack, then glaze the top with the warm apricot jam.   Serve with creme fraiche or a dollop of double cream, this cake is so lovely and moist it doesn't need anything but what the heck, as I said its been a stressful week....



.


9 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks AMAZING. Reminds me of a cake my mum used to make when I was a girl. I'm going to bookmark this recipe.

    On a separate note, one of my favourite childhood books was called Apple Pigs. I've just started reading it to Pip now. It's about a girl who finds an old apple tree and looks after it and it grows so many apples they don't know what to do with them. (They have an apple feast...and invite lots of animals.) TC might like it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a look at Apple Pigs, hopefully next year we will have our crop back x

      Delete
  2. You are a great cook - that cake looks delicious - so know what you mean about baking/cooking being quite therapeutic. X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was very delicious, what is it about cake batter that is so yummy especially when licked from the spatula, my mum always let me lick it, do I have to now let TC have it, oh no!! as she would say :))

      Delete
  3. This looks absolutely yummy! I bet it was devoured pretty quickly. I love apple cake, a really great choice for 'coming home' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was so delicious, I wish I had baked two, did go too fast!

      Delete
  4. that looks lovely, we only had one apple from our tree this year :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I missed the apples, hope the weather plays nice next year.

      Delete
  5. Tagged you Hun http://clarelouallen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/getting-to-know-you-meme.html

    ReplyDelete