Jane's Fish Finger Pie

I've had The Baby & Toddler healthy eating planner on my heaving cookery book shelf for a while now, I bought it on the recommendation of a friend, mainly for more ideas to tempt TC's tastebuds and widen her repetoire. 

It's an interesting book, full of family type recipes for toddlers that can be scaled up for family meals.  As with all my cookery books I've earmarked the recipes I want to try but the Fish Finger Pie wasn't on the list.  But when a friend who also has the book said "Have you tried the Fish Finger pie, my 2 loved it" I thought it would be fun to try out.

Its all very simple.  I've halved the recipe as its best eaten fresh and it was plenty for a 2 year old and myself for lunch.

  • Grill or oven bake 4 frozen fish fingers (I had to buy some as we don't usually have them).
  • Peel a couple of medium sized potatoes - I also put some sweet potato in to up the nutritional content - and cook until tender.  Once cooked mash with butter and a dash of milk.
  • Assemble the pie as follows:  lay fish fingers on the bottom of an ovenproof dish, pour baked beans over - I used half a large tin, top the beans with the mashed potatoes.
  • Sprinkle a mound of grated cheese over the potatoes and bake for 15 minutes or until golden on top and hot through.
The verdict, it has a fair bit of nutritional value, lots of protein from the fish and beans, B vitamins, calcium, iron, vitamin C & zinc and with a side of vegetables it makes a warm, filling lunch that TC had fun making with me after a busy morning at the park.  (She spooned some beans and helped with the mash!).  




4 comments:

  1. Now that sounds very comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds simple but yummy! I am definitely gonna try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try anything once :) I prefer to use fresh fish (or frozen) but no harm in the odd finger of fish!

      Delete