Book Loving - Elsewhere

I read a lot - I have books on the go all over the place - by my bedside, which is more like a book mountain, in the bathroom - every time I go to the loo I manage to read a good couple of pages, in the living room where I sit most evenings poring over my health and cookery books.

I have had a love of reading from my father's knee, he read with me and to me from an extremely early age and taught me to read and write before I started school at 4. 

A friend of mine, recently recommended a book called Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin to me, I don't have much time to read fiction and I need lighter-hearted reads rather than deep and dark so a quick read of the back cover first and this is what it said:

"When Liz is killed in a hit-and-run accident her 'life' takes a very unexpected turn.  At nearly sixteen she knows she will never get married, never have children, and perhaps never fall in love. But in Elsewhere all things carry on almost as they did on earth except that the inhabitants get younger, new relationships are formed and old ones sadly interrupted on earth are renewed.


Full of the most ingenious detail and woven around the most touching and charming relationships this is a novel of hope, of redemption and (literally) re-birth. It is a novel that tells of sadness with heart-breaking honesty and of love and happiness with uplifting brilliance".

.....and I absolutely loved it, the story may start with the death of a young girl but as a new beginning and is not a deep, heavy read.  I found myself nodding at some parts and wiping away a few escaping happy tears. It conjured up a very comforting picture of a place where our loved ones go and I found myself wishing that we do indeed go to "Elsewhere" where we all get younger and return once more to live again, albeit as a new soul. 

This is a feel good, entertaining and emotional read, told through a young girl's eyes and like it said on the tin with uplifting brilliance. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment