100 Days to go!

Today giant Olympic rings made up of 20,000 flowers have been unveiled at Kew Gardens, a place of childhood memories for me, to mark exactly 100 days to the opening ceremony of London 2012.

Mother Wife Me wrote a blog post recently about the London 2012 Olympic Games, she is lives very close to the Games venue & her husband has tickets!!  I have been trying to keep my excitement in check about the Olympic Games but now I am all over-excited again just reading her blog post, I just can't wait for them to start! 

I have forewarned the family that I will be watching all the athletics, as I was very unlucky not to get tickets, apply & apply as I may, the ticket fairies did not grant my wishes.   I used to train with my athletics club at Crystal Palace in the presence of many of the greats of the day, Daley Thompson & Steve Ovett to name but two.  I remember being in such awe as I grabbed a drink in the cafe after training to see Steve Ovett sitting there so close to me like being close to your favourite rock star!   I was so very young so you have to excuse the hero worship *blush*.

When I became interested in running as a young girl I couldn't read enough about the Olympics & the stars of the track, past & present.  Lillian Board, Mary Peters, Alberto Juantoreno, David Hemery, Lasse Viren, Greta Weiss to name but a few.  I was lucky enough to be in the Crystal Palace Press box many, many times helping out so I got to meet so many of the greats at the major meetings.  It was a magical time for me, I still have my spikes stashed in the loft with my training kit, just couldn't part with them.  

I've also kept a souvenir silk handkerchief that my dad gave me years ago from the 1956 Olympics which he was lucky enough to be at, its still in perfect condition.



I am really looking forward to the Olympic Torch passing through my town, it would be one of my greatest honours to run a part of it.  I hope my little daughter enjoys sport as she grows up, she loves running & has enough energy to light up the Olympic Stadium, so we'll have to see.

I know its not everyone's cup of tea from some of friend's reactions to it but in the spirit of the Games ......    Are we there yet???  Only 99 sleeps to the starting line!

4 comments:

  1. How exciting! That is something I would like to do someday, watch the Olympics live. :-) I loved watching gymnastics and track and field. What a great keepsake you have from your Dad, too. I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Please stop by when you get a moment to check it out. I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, very sweet of you. I will go take a look on your blog. Like all mummies I am definitely versatile :))

      Delete
  2. Thats so exciting - your post was just brimming with enthusiasm - I was a little girl when the likes of Coe ane Ovett dominated the tracks. Sounds like you were/ and I'll wager still athletic - do you still run? We live fairly near Kew so must take a look at those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still love a run, mostly with the buggy now & a 2 sports bras! Have a treadmill here too if I feel like letting off a bit of steam. Should have added Daley into the list too, he was fun to be around!

      Delete